Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fatshark's First-Person Co-op Warhammer 40,000: Darktide is Out on PC Today | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 11,024
edited November 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageFatshark's First-Person Co-op Warhammer 40,000: Darktide is Out on PC Today | MMORPG.com

Fatshark's first-person co-op title, Warhammer 40,000: Darktide has launched on PC today.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LokrynLokryn Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Is this game a nice alternative to Warframe and Destiny 2?
  • QbertqQbertq Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Lokryn said:
    too new to tell, I'm guessing
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member UncommonPosts: 339

Lokryn said:

No, totally different experiences.
    Gorwe

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 133
    very good game..having a good time with it.
    TacticalZombeh
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,378

Lokryn said:

It's not a looter shooter like WF or D2. You acquire new gear between missions in the hub area.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ValdheimValdheim Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Yesterday I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad I did. So far with my first 3 1/2 hours I've had a blast. I haven't experienced any bugs/crashes so far and the game ran fine with a 3070.
    Those graphics and especially the sound are amazing. Weapons somehow feel even more impactful than in Vermintide 2 and during my playtime almost every team managed to stay together. So for the few days I'll be testing all 4 classes before I pick a main. Can't wait for my next session!
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 4,934
    Had a quick go yesterday and quite impressed. It looks gorgeous, plays tight and they nailed the aesthetics. I am really not a fan of the third person view in the hub though and the writing is way too straight faced for the WH40K universe, Inquisitor Martyr is still king when it comes to that. Loading times seem a bit long too. Will definitely be playing more tonight.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• milayskymilaysky Member UncommonPosts: 35
    so is it exactly the same as Vermintide 2 except new setting? I like V2. Just wondering if there is smtn to be excited about.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 847
    milaysky said:
    so is it exactly the same as Vermintide 2 except new setting? I like V2. Just wondering if there is smtn to be excited about.

That's mostly it, yes.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 19,918
    edited December 2022
    Negative reviews on Steam are suggestive of the game needing some QA polish, so holding of for now. But make no mistake this will be a solid game, will look again in a couple of months after the wrinkles are ironed out.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,712
    On PC Gamepass this game is a total disaster.

First the game was not showing on Game Pass until way past the launch window.

Then the first day there were no servers available and all you could do was the Prologue.

Now a day later, you can finally join mission queues, but every time you load into a mission, the game immediately crashes to Desktop!

But hey! The Cash Shop works flawlessly of course!  Good to see these developers got their priorities straight.

/uninstalled
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 19,918
    edited December 2022
    JeroKane said:

Then the first day there were no servers available and all you could do was the Prologue.

Now a day later, you can finally join mission queues, but every time you load into a mission, the game immediately crashes to Desktop!

But hey! The Cash Shop works flawlessly of course!  Good to see these developers got their priorities straight.

/uninstalled
    Designers 101: First, create your cash shop making sure it is a piece of programming as solid as bedrock. Second, build your game around it and hope for the best. :)

Seriously, I think all these teething problems will be gone in a couple of months, that's why I don't even bother to play games as they come out of the door anymore.
    edited December 2022
    Scot said:
    JeroKane said:

/uninstalled
    Designers 101: First, create your cash shop making sure it is a piece of programming as solid as bedrock. Second, build your game around it and hope for the best. :)

Seriously, I think all these teething problems will be gone in a couple of months, that's why I don't even bother to play games as they come out of the door anymore.
    It's just greed at this point. Pure and simple.

Even the Cash Shop is priced in a sleazy way, where the currency options don't match the price of cosmetics in the store, so people have to spend more money than needed.
    Lot of complaints about that too at the moment!

Then we have half the features still missing and only 13 maps available at launch.

But I am sure they will fully prioritize all the planned DLC first.

It's a shame really. As the game looks pretty good and is basically the only wh40k multiplayer shooter we got.
    Scotstrawhat0981
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member RarePosts: 363
    I really enjoy the game. I played a good bit of Vermintide 2 as well, and this one captures the same vibe but in the 40k universe which I prefer.

For those wondering what the gameplay is like this is a "Left for dead" style co-op FPS or "co-op horde shooter". Instead of the hordes of zombies it's hordes of chaos worshipping scab and dreg heretics that need to be PURGED WITH HOLY FIRE! FOR THE EMPEROR! Sorry lost myself there for a second.

You level up and upgrade your gear between missions back in the lobby area. This isn't a looter shooter where you will see piles of loot drop mid mission.

I read complaints that the game launches with fewer classes and less content than Vermintide 2 launched with. That's a fair criticism. I personally like the missions in Darktide better, but that may be due to my bias towards 40k over regular WH.

Visuals are objectively better. All the character faces in Vermintide 2 are hideous. Even the elf lady who thinks herself beautiful from her comments in game looks like something out of a horror movie. The best looking one is the dwarf and that's not saying much. You can make any of the normal humans (sorry Ogryn fans) look at least ruggedly handsome/pretty if you work at it in Darktide. Beyond your character the art style is fantastic and incredibly detailed. There's not any areas in the current maps that look like the artists just mailed it in. Everything oozes 40k hive city.

What else. Oh I read someone complaining that all the classes play exactly the same except the psyker. That's true at level 1, however it's true in Vermintide 2 as well. The primary differentiator between the classes is what gear they get access to at later levels. That's true in both games. If you don't like that in Darktide you run into the exact same issue in Vermintide 2. Fat shark is just following their own formula.

The game does occasionally crash, but they made VAST improvements on that over the early access beta. I fully expect them to continue to improve. One massive improvement over Vermintide 2 is that when someone does crash they can easily rejoin the game in progress after they reload and still get their rewards. Vermintide 2 you were just SOL and wasted a bunch of time because there is no partial credit awarded for missions. It's all or nothing.

Anyway hopefully this helps someone. It's not perfect but as a 40k FPS it's really fun and more engaging than Necromunda: Hired Gun which you will play once and uninstall to never play again.
    Valdheim
    milaysky said:

There's much more emphasis on ranged combat than with Vermintide 2, though melee combat is still important and every class needs to do it on a regular basis.  Plus the setting is completely different being sci-fi.

JeroKane said:

/uninstalled

Don't know about Gamepass but it's worked fine through Steam so far.  The cash shop set up is kind of annoying with the way they went about it but at least everything is purely cosmetic and you can earn some cool looking cosmetics through achievements or in game currency.

edited December 2022
    Ginaz said:
    JeroKane said:

/uninstalled

Don't know about Gamepass but it's worked fine through Steam so far.  The cash shop set up is kind of annoying with the way they went about it but at least everything is purely cosmetic and you can earn some cool looking cosmetics through achievements or in game currency.
    I have no idea why its so much worse on PC Game Pass as on Steam. They are both the same platform ( PC ), but maybe they messed up with wrong client version in PC Game Pass or something.

I have tried many things in my graphic settings, but to no avail. I could play the entire Prologue perfectly fine, including both tutorials and walk around in the ship and see other players.
    But the moment I queue up for a mission and the game loads into a map, I immediately crash to the desktop! Every single time!
    So for me the game is literally unplayable. Glad I did not pay 40 bucks on the Steam version!

But reading forums, it seems plenty of people are crashing with the Steam version as well.

Another stupidity is that there is no cross-server play between PC Game Pass and Steam, eventhough both versions are on the same platform (PC).  Ridiculous in anno 2022. /shrug

PS. Here is a quoted post from Steam Forums, pointing out the predatory cash shop:

"They actually did it Bundles cost 2,400 Aquillas. Most individual items cost 700, 800 or 900. Meanwhile, you can only buy Aquillas in bundles of 500, 1,000, 2,100 4,500 or 7,000.

You can never pay a clean amount and just get the bundle you want, you will always be paying extra and left with leftover. I know it was expected, but good lord."

This has TenCent's smell all over. No surprise I guess.
    Meanwhile the Steam forums are on fire with performance, crashing and predatory cash shop complains, people refunding the game in Steam, etc.
    The Chaos gods of the Warp will be pleased!
    Post edited by JeroKane on
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 549
    game was playable for me on PC game pass. i played a few easy levels trying new classes, got bored and quit
    no crashes or anything

and the game pass version was put online like maybe an hour late. not that big of a deal the thing to complain about would be the no cross play with steam, which is just moronic to divide its own playerbase on pc
    I've had a few crashes over the past few weeks but it's usually been when I'm exiting the game anyway. Other than that nothing significant. I am NOT happy with the cash shop as I preferred Vermintide 2's approach of being to buy cosmetics straight up for a cash price through Steam. I don't like these cash shops that have something cost 2200 donkey dollars but you can only buy said donkey dollars in increments of 500 or 1000 instead of the amount you want.
    Valdheim

• Warhawke80Warhawke80 Member RarePosts: 418
    Since I had a major concussion a couple years back I can't even try to play these type of games...I pretty much have to walk in MMO's...still I tried to check this out and I was left really wanting a 40k MMO with slower combat.

I'm sure the game will do great.