Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tactical RPG Marvel's Midnight Suns Launches Friday, Reveals Hulk in Launch Trailer | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 11,024
edited November 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageTactical RPG Marvel's Midnight Suns Launches Friday, Reveals Hulk in Launch Trailer | MMORPG.com

Marvel's Midnight Suns is set for release on Friday, and today, Firaxis and 2K Games revealed not only the game's launch trailer, but the 13th and final playable hero for the base game - Hulk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 678
    I stopped being interested in superheroes around age 10-12 or so when they started feeling too childish and immature of an interest, but what I don't understand as a gamer, why do they do games like this, both popular anime, superheroes and whatever else where you can only play as existing characters as opposed to being able to create your own characters, pick their appearance and abilities.

I think such a direction can be more profitable where the already established characters are more like NPCs in the world that appear in cutscenes and story mode.
    ScotTruvidiennDrius75
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 19,918
    edited November 2022
    I stopped being interested in superheroes around age 10-12 or so when they started feeling too childish and immature of an interest, but what I don't understand as a gamer, why do they do games like this, both popular anime, superheroes and whatever else where you can only play as existing characters as opposed to being able to create your own characters, pick their appearance and abilities.

I think such a direction can be more profitable where the already established characters are more like NPCs in the world that appear in cutscenes and story mode.
    Brand. Which has become so important not just to video games but every entertainment platform out there. Once upon a time you decided to make a film or TV series from a book because you wanted it to have a cinematic treatment, or you at least knew the script would be spoiled for content.

Now a book has become a passage to having a film of TV series made. Will you risk millions on making a new SF/fantasy flavoured series from an original premise or use that of a tried and tested book with an already existing fan base?

It is down to the money, whatever has less risk is more important than the fact you have to pay for a license and will make less money accordingly. This "accountant" led rather than entrepreneur led approach is de rigueur throughout the entertainment industries. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,470
    I love turn based games so very much and I love super heroes. I am over 60+ and I still love superheroes. I don't think it has anything to do with age and I enjoy having the powers of the heroes I loved. I especially enjoy that and I doubt I am alone. 

People love different things and thank goodness for that otherwise games would be so dull. I also enjoyed making my own superheroes in City of Heroes/ Villains and would have enjoyed the playing of iconic characters in DCUO but the awful interface killed it, the incessant mouse clicking for skills drove me away.
    maskedweaselScotgiantessfanTruvidiennTokkencheyane

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,244
    looks good , they added some "rare" heroes , but i need more xmen , avengers are cool but overused.
    Scott_JeslisScotTokken
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,312
    edited November 2022
    It is extremely embarassing that half the cast of Midnight Suns are characters who flat out do not belong to, nor fit the tone of the Midnight Sons. There were popular characters who could have fit the mold, and yet they chose MCU coattail picks like Iron Man, the Hulk, and most offensively Captain America, Captain Marvel, and Spiderman. And that's really disappointing.
    Scott_JeslismaskedweaselTokken
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 607

kitarad said:

I love turn based games so very much and I love super heroes. I am over 60+ and I still love superheroes. I don't think it has anything to do with age and I enjoy having the powers of the heroes I loved. I especially enjoy that and I doubt I am alone.

SAME!!! I still read new comics every week from Marvel, DC, Image, etc.

My issue is these games seem to always push the core Avengers' movies characters.
    Tokken
    edited November 2022
    Aeander said:
    It is extremely embarassing that half the cast of Midnight Suns are characters who flat out do not belong to, nor fit the tone of the Midnight Sons. There were popular characters who could have fit the mold, and yet they chose MCU coattail picks like Iron Man, the Hulk, and most offensively Captain America, Captain Marvel, and Spiderman. And that's really disappointing.
    I forgot to point to point out in my last post you can play your own avatar super not the "Marvel Popular Roster". But the fact you can play so many actual Marvel supers and they are the ones you mention is down to all important Brand considerations. Part of that brand consideration is you might as well call this the "Diversity Line Up".
  • giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    As a huge comic book fan and a Marvel one at that I did pre-order this game. However, I will probably play Calisto first and that is saying something if you know how obsessed with Marvel I am. Right now as I sit at my desk and I am surrounded by Marvel figures and statues I spent thousands on over the years
    maskedweaselTokken
    As a huge comic book fan and a Marvel one at that I did pre-order this game. However, I will probably play Calisto first and that is saying something if you know how obsessed with Marvel I am. Right now as I sit at my desk and I am surrounded by Marvel figures and statues I spent thousands on over the years
    I am afraid the game is not being made for you, the priority list is Marvel Cinematic Universe fans, "Marvel Cartoon Universe" fans, "Marvel Games Universe" fans and finally Marvel Comics Universe fans. Thats is the brand priority which now determines where Marvel goes.
  • giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Scot said:
    I am afraid the game is not being made for you, the priority list is Marvel Cinematic Universe fans, "Marvel Cartoon Universe" fans, "Marvel Games Universe" fans and finally Marvel Comics Universe fans. Thats is the brand priority which now determines where Marvel goes.
    I am an all things Marvel fan. I am the definition of fanboy. I have played just about all the games and every modern day game for sure. I see every movie in theather at least twice and I watch the cartoons, save for the super baby ones unless my 4 year old is watching them
    TokkenScot
  • TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 285
    edited December 2022
    You got the Hulk looking like Frankenstein. But I hope this does well because I'm interested in getting it. @kitarad I would keep a eye out on City of Titans then if you are a fan of City of Heroes.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 840
    Marvel + tactical rpg = insta buy for me
    Hope Im not disappointed!
    Scot said:
    I am an all things Marvel fan. I am the definition of fanboy. I have played just about all the games and every modern day game for sure. I see every movie in theather at least twice and I watch the cartoons, save for the super baby ones unless my 4 year old is watching them
    There is a conflict though, between the priorities of the entertainment platforms, as a big comics fan in my early years I think it is sad that the comics now play second fiddle to every other entertainment genre.
  • Warhawke80Warhawke80 Member RarePosts: 418
    Marvel Phase 4 has turned me off of all things Comics...and this dosen't look like it will bring me back.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 3,491

You got the Hulk looking like Frankenstein. But I hope this does well because I'm interested in getting it.

@kitarad I would keep a eye out on City of Titans then if you are a fan of City of Heroes.

One is better served keeping their eyes on City of Heroes rather then glancing in that direction.
    cheyaneScot

You got the Hulk looking like Frankenstein. But I hope this does well because I'm interested in getting it.

@kitarad I would keep a eye out on City of Titans then if you are a fan of City of Heroes.

One is better served keeping their eyes on City of Heroes rather then glancing in that direction.
    But we have two up and coming supers MMOs that may pick up the torch from CoH, which is welcome in my eyes.