Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

winter mmo rotation

2»

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,107
    Well, I cant verify nor falsify that. I find the lore in classic fantasy games to be far too uniform to be really that interesting.

Yeah, yeah. Elves snuggle with trees while dwarves get stone drunk. Fine. Whatever.

You see the "lore" in one game, you've seen it all of them.  Someone with a portentous name nearly wiped everyone out, blah blah, but a heroic alliance of (insert fantasy races here) managed to defeat him/her and banished them but broke the world in the process, blah blah.  The someone with a portentous name is returning from exile, blah, blah...

I couldn't give a crap about made-up backstories to games.  I ignore them all. They're all  uninteresting to me and they add nothing to my personal gameplay whatsoever.  Think of the time I have saved!!  Other players lap this kind of stuff up though, which is fine.

AlBQuirkyOG_Solareus
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,388
    Dibdabs said:
    Well, I cant verify nor falsify that. I find the lore in classic fantasy games to be far too uniform to be really that interesting.

Yeah, yeah. Elves snuggle with trees while dwarves get stone drunk. Fine. Whatever.

You see the "lore" in one game, you've seen it all of them.  Someone with a portentous name nearly wiped everyone out, blah blah, but a heroic alliance of (insert fantasy races here) managed to defeat him/her and banished them but broke the world in the process, blah blah.  The someone with a portentous name is returning from exile, blah, blah...

I couldn't give a crap about made-up backstories to games.  I ignore them all. They're all  uninteresting to me and they add nothing to my personal gameplay whatsoever.  Think of the time I have saved!!  Other players lap this kind of stuff up though, which is fine.
    I was remembering when I first got WoW. All of the races had "some excuse" for being what they were. Alliance races banded together against some "evil foe" while Horde races were wrongly attacked and had to defend themselves. It seemed to me that ALL races were "good" (or at least justified) and not really "evil."

Was that my interpretation, or did others notice this?
    OG_SolareusAmaranthar

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 19,959
    AlBQuirky said:
    Dibdabs said:

I was remembering when I first got WoW. All of the races had "some excuse" for being what they were. Alliance races banded together against some "evil foe" while Horde races were wrongly attacked and had to defend themselves. It seemed to me that ALL races were "good" (or at least justified) and not really "evil."

The setup of a MORPG does lead to similar stories, it takes good writing to make you feel that you are taking part in a new story this time. MMOs often lack good writing, so yes it can seem the same old story, but with good writers that would not be the case. The importance of writing in MMO development went south as players who were not considered to be role-players became the priority. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy; you don't bother with the expense of top writers because you are aiming at a larger player base who don't put RPG first, and you end up with a genre were those of us who do love story find it bland.

I can remember an article from a writer on here talking about how she had seen MMORPG's go from a situation where all quests were written by writers to one were studios thought they could "get the tea boy to write them". Thats why the story can be so bad.

When you set up a MMORPG you want every side to think they are the good guys, that was the idea in WoW. You see it in that so-so film and far better portrayed in the tabletop rpg. You can go down the route of making one side the real bad guys, I have seen the like of this in EQ2 and WHO. It worked for me in EQ2, you felt like you were being led by a tyrant rather than the "Overlord of Evil" (though maybe that's what he was!). In WHO you felt like an evil bastard which worked for some I am sure, but we eventually let that side and only played our alliance avatars. I am sure that was not why WHO failed, but it did not help the game. 
    AlBQuirkyOG_Solareus
  • psychicwarspsychicwars Member UncommonPosts: 12
    It's about this time, every couple years, I try to get back in to LotrO, enjoy myself for 20 hours, and then get stonewalled by the freemium model and the chaos that is the Turbine cash shop. So I'll probably just do that again!

God I wish I had a new MMO to play, one that wasn't in pre-alpha limbo.
    AndemnonOG_SolareusAlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,331
    AlBQuirky said:
    Dibdabs said:

"Everything is in shades of gray." 
    Isn't that the new way of thinking? There is no evil? Right? 

OG_SolareusAlBQuirky

Once upon a time....