Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion: Lawsuits Be Damned, Chronicles of Elyria is a Farce and Must End Now | MMOWTF | MMORPG.com

1235»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 15,893
    adran06 said:

You clearly did not actually follow any of the development.

Obviously you are pretty new around here.  Luckily for you we literally have years and years and thousands of posts you can go back and educate yourself with.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/chronicles-of-elyria

Enoy!

PS: If the Ivory Tower ever actually followed the development of the game half as much as I did, well.. a lot of money would have been saved.

KyleranMendelBrainy

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Uwakionna said:
    adran06 said:
    Star Citizen still hasn't released and people don't go around calling it a scam.
    What an interesting world you live in.
    They are obviously a parody account :smile:
    Boring news day I guess.  At least we all got a few chuckles

Mendel

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,486
    This is pathetic even for you Caspian.
    maskedweaselKyleranMendelcheyaneMadBomber13

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,526
    Uwakionna said:
    adran06 said:
    Star Citizen still hasn't released and people don't go around calling it a scam.
    What an interesting world you live in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,526
    Here's a video which "highlights" the terrible parkour demo, Trials of the Tested (clearly a reference to the patience of the many ripped off backers) COE released right before closing it all down.

maskedweasel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,457
    Maybe people should get more info on games before blindly throwing money at them?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 11,895
    Maybe people should get more info on games before blindly throwing money at them?
    NO SIR. I exclusively blindly throw money at games I know nothing about. The less I know about a game the better. 

MMORPGs aren't known for their drama, so funding delusional kickstarters is all I have!
    KyleranMadBomber13

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 4,938
    edited December 2022
    Denial
                     > Adran06
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance (mockery) > the rest of MMORPG.com

He’ll get there guys, just give him some time.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

maskedweaselKyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 3,495
    lotrlore said:
    adran06 said:
    [...]Crowdfunding was never going to be enough by itself unless it kept going, and people didn't keep paying. [...]
    I might be out of line here, but I usually am on the side of paying for a product when it's finished, not when it's still just a "promise" on the horizon. Could be that most people were of the same mind. Not sure you can really blame the people who have invested literal millions into a project being upset when that project ends up like.... well... "motions to the last few years of CoE developments*
    Most people may be of the same but it is certain all are not. Hence, crowdfunding now well entrenched as a thing.

The investing of millions into projects that don't turn out happens in business. That is what can occur when you put money into what may or not be.

It is high risk. People should know that going in. There is a very high chance the promised result will never see the light of day and the money put in lost.

I don't blame people for being upset about project failures but also don't have much sympathy. The best way to avoid loss is to avoid risk.

People have to keep in mind that crowdfunding is essentially a roll of the dice and should be viewed as such, not a prepurchase of the certain.
    lotrlore said:
    adran06 said:
    [...]Crowdfunding was never going to be enough by itself unless it kept going, and people didn't keep paying. [...]
    I might be out of line here, but I usually am on the side of paying for a product when it's finished, not when it's still just a "promise" on the horizon. Could be that most people were of the same mind. Not sure you can really blame the people who have invested literal millions into a project being upset when that project ends up like.... well... "motions to the last few years of CoE developments*
    Most people may be of the same but it is certain all are not. Hence, crowdfunding now well entrenched as a thing.

The investing of millions into projects that don't turn out happens in business. That is what can occur when you put money into what may or not be.

It is high risk. People should know that going in. There is a very high chance the promised result will never see the light of day and the money put in lost.

I don't blame people for being upset about project failures but also don't have much sympathy. The best way to avoid loss is to avoid risk.

People have to keep in mind that crowdfunding is essentially a roll of the dice and should be viewed as such, not a prepurchase of the certain.
    None of that excuses blatant lies.  You do not get to lie, take people's money and point to a "Crowdfunding" word and say too bad.

Go to the Kickstarter page for CoE and show me where it says that he was not asking for all the money he needed to complete the project.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

And no, you cannot say he under estimated.  My recollection is that once the Kickstarter was over he said that he revealed that it was just to get him started and that he needed 3M for the full game (Also bullshit).  If that is wrong, feel free to show me the facts.

So yes, crowdfunding has risks, but risks should not allow for lying.  There is simply zero chance that all these projects, took all this money, and they all told the truth about how much money and time it would take to only find out later they were off by a factor of 10.  It is inconceivable that this is true.  Some portion of that is intentional misleading of potential customers as far as I am concerned.

And that falls squarely on the developer.  Yes the customers should research the projects but the folks raising it need to have some level of accountability for what they are promising as well.

BrainyMadBomber13Mendel

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,581
    Kyleran said:
    Here's a video which "highlights" the terrible parkour demo, Trials of the Tested (clearly a reference to the patience of the many ripped off backers) COE released right before closing it all down.

I think you need some perspective on that horrible crap because it looked like a completely different game four years before that. 
    Slapshot1188Kyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Sadly it seems that one of the "Kings" from CoE, Dleatherus, who used to post on these forums has passed away today after an illness.

It's a shame IMHO that Caspien gets to keep up his charade so long that his supporters are passing away.

While I think he (D), was crazy for supporting Caspien, he seemed like a decent guy and I had promised I would roam his Kingdom in my Black Harbinger Robes if the game ever released.   What a shame.

KyleranmaskedweaselBrainy

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,056
    adran06 said:
    I'm so sick of idiots thinking they know what's happening with CoE. The game never stopped development. Ever. KoE was ALWAYS part of the plan, and was clearly talked about YEARS ago. KoE is one part of the development cycle to get the Kingdom Management system worked on. The other part will be getting the Adventurer systems in place. Then it will be integrated together into the final product, CoE. This was something Caspian was talking about for YEARS. The fact people still treat his game like it's a scam is insulting to him as a developer. There's more evidence it ISN'T than evidence it IS. He stopped posting about the game because of shit like this, so of COURSE there isn't new public info. The public are assholes that crucified him, so of course he said screw you all. And you deserve it. As for how long it is taking, that's how game development is when you're doing a game this big and you don't get the funding to make a team big enough to work faster. Between COVID and a lack of Publisher, of course they didn't have those funds. Crowdfunding was never going to be enough by itself unless it kept going, and people didn't keep paying. The lengthy development is something I fully expected, and it bugs me that most people expected the game to already be here. Big games take longer to make people. 6-8+ years is what you should have expected to begin with.

I love mmorpg.com
    Kyleranmaskedweasel

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

By the way.  Caspien posted  about Dleatherus 

Strange that he doesn't mention how  Dleatherus thought of Caspien and his Community Manager Serpentius...