Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion: Lawsuits Be Damned, Chronicles of Elyria is a Farce and Must End Now | MMOWTF | MMORPG.com

Comments

• DarkZorvanReturnsDarkZorvanReturns Member RarePosts: 654
    Tiller said:
    Deathkon1 said:
    Ungoods got like a repeated record of being banned and unbanned wtf he do this time, hopefully he can come back again.

By now the mods could probably write a book made up of his unbanning appeals.
    I bet I still hold the record.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 15,893
    Hey  @lotrlore or @StevenWeber did Walsh ever reach out to you folks like his post said he was going to do?

Any interviews in the works?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 81
    Hey  lotrlore or @StevenWeber did Walsh ever reach out to you folks like his post said he was going to do?

Greetings MMORPGer!

As far as I am aware, there is no interview currently in the works and I have not been contacted. Of course, as we've noted, we are always open to speaking with Walsh, or any of the current or former Chronicles of Elyria developers. 

Thanks for the follow up! 

Happy posting!
    Slapshot1188Kyleranlotrlore
    Hey  lotrlore or @StevenWeber did Walsh ever reach out to you folks like his post said he was going to do?

Greetings MMORPGer!

As far as I am aware, there is no interview currently in the works and I have not been contacted. Of course, as we've noted, we are always open to speaking with Walsh, or any of the current or former Chronicles of Elyria developers. 

Happy posting!
    Thanks for the update.

Just further proof IMHO that Walsh never follows through on what he says he will do.
    Amazing.

Kyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,526

Greetings MMORPGer!

Happy posting!
    Thanks for the update.

Just further proof IMHO that Walsh never follows through on what he says he will do.
    Amazing.

C'mon, you knew the answer before you asked, the man has 

lotrloreSlapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Greetings MMORPGer!

Happy posting!
    Thanks for the update.

Amazing.

Walsh appears to have gone silent since that post.  Wonder what happened.
    maskedweasel

• DarkZorvanReturnsDarkZorvanReturns Member RarePosts: 654
    Kyleran said:

Greetings MMORPGer!

Happy posting!
    Thanks for the update.

Amazing.

Walsh appears to have gone silent since that post.  Wonder what happened.
    Maybe he drowned in his own verbal diarrhea?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,580
    This was amazing.

Slow Clap GIFs  Tenor

The title alone deserves a round of applause but this is the first article I've read in it's entirety in months on this site. You guys should have been calling out this scam years ago.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• adran06adran06 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I'm so sick of idiots thinking they know what's happening with CoE. The game never stopped development. Ever. KoE was ALWAYS part of the plan, and was clearly talked about YEARS ago. KoE is one part of the development cycle to get the Kingdom Management system worked on. The other part will be getting the Adventurer systems in place. Then it will be integrated together into the final product, CoE. This was something Caspian was talking about for YEARS. The fact people still treat his game like it's a scam is insulting to him as a developer. There's more evidence it ISN'T than evidence it IS. He stopped posting about the game because of shit like this, so of COURSE there isn't new public info. The public are assholes that crucified him, so of course he said screw you all. And you deserve it. As for how long it is taking, that's how game development is when you're doing a game this big and you don't get the funding to make a team big enough to work faster. Between COVID and a lack of Publisher, of course they didn't have those funds. Crowdfunding was never going to be enough by itself unless it kept going, and people didn't keep paying. The lengthy development is something I fully expected, and it bugs me that most people expected the game to already be here. Big games take longer to make people. 6-8+ years is what you should have expected to begin with.
    maskedweaselMendelKyleranIselin
    edited December 2022

I always thought crowdfunding was a bit of a gamble on ur part as a player anyway, no guarantees...like an alpha version of a game for Pre-release. I sometimes take part in them and sometimes don't because the game could just sit there forever in the state it is in, or disappear altogether. Use ur brains people! :)

Not all Crowdfunding is equal.  Some, like this one did, go to Kickstarter and say "We also promised to only go to Kickstarter once we had a playable demo (combat demo released at PAX East) and substantial development to show. This is not just a concept that we're presenting. It's a game in the making that we need your help to bring to fruition."

And then, 6 years later... nadda. So, was there really "substantial development" and was the "playable demo" really legit?

I mean.. if there were really a functional "playable demo" why did most players never get to play a second of the game over the next 6 years?  Certainly not anything resembling what was shown in the Kickstarter screenshots?

The playable demo was seen at Pax. Multiple times. There is video of it on youtube. It wasn't available for download on home computers but it existed.
    maskedweaselSlapshot1188Mendel
    adran06 said:

I always thought crowdfunding was a bit of a gamble on ur part as a player anyway, no guarantees...like an alpha version of a game for Pre-release. I sometimes take part in them and sometimes don't because the game could just sit there forever in the state it is in, or disappear altogether. Use ur brains people! :)

Not all Crowdfunding is equal.  Some, like this one did, go to Kickstarter and say "We also promised to only go to Kickstarter once we had a playable demo (combat demo released at PAX East) and substantial development to show. This is not just a concept that we're presenting. It's a game in the making that we need your help to bring to fruition."

And then, 6 years later... nadda. So, was there really "substantial development" and was the "playable demo" really legit?

I mean.. if there were really a functional "playable demo" why did most players never get to play a second of the game over the next 6 years?  Certainly not anything resembling what was shown in the Kickstarter screenshots?

The playable demo was seen at Pax. Multiple times. There is video of it on youtube. It wasn't available for download on home computers but it existed.
    Thats ridiculous.  Whatever that was a playable demo of, it wasn't the actual game.

This was the PAX East "demo" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtEnsVPuqw

This was what they showed years later...

adran06 said:
    I'm so sick of idiots thinking they know what's happening with CoE. The game never stopped development. Ever. KoE was ALWAYS part of the plan, and was clearly talked about YEARS ago. KoE is one part of the development cycle to get the Kingdom Management system worked on. The other part will be getting the Adventurer systems in place. Then it will be integrated together into the final product, CoE. This was something Caspian was talking about for YEARS. The fact people still treat his game like it's a scam is insulting to him as a developer. There's more evidence it ISN'T than evidence it IS. He stopped posting about the game because of shit like this, so of COURSE there isn't new public info. The public are assholes that crucified him, so of course he said screw you all. And you deserve it. As for how long it is taking, that's how game development is when you're doing a game this big and you don't get the funding to make a team big enough to work faster. Between COVID and a lack of Publisher, of course they didn't have those funds. Crowdfunding was never going to be enough by itself unless it kept going, and people didn't keep paying. The lengthy development is something I fully expected, and it bugs me that most people expected the game to already be here. Big games take longer to make people. 6-8+ years is what you should have expected to begin with.
    I'm gonna lean towards this being a parody account.
    maskedweaselMendellotrloreKyleran

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 11,895
    adran06 said:
    I'm gonna lean towards this being a parody account.
    I think Jeromy's mom happened upon the thread. That's what I was thinking. 
    Kyleran

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,511
    A fanboi arises.  Again.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

adran06 said:

Produce a person who actually had hands-on playing time.  No one other than 'presenters' or other 'staff' got to touch any part of it.

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 390
    adran06 said:
    [...]Crowdfunding was never going to be enough by itself unless it kept going, and people didn't keep paying. [...]
    I might be out of line here, but I usually am on the side of paying for a product when it's finished, not when it's still just a "promise" on the horizon. Could be that most people were of the same mind. Not sure you can really blame the people who have invested literal millions into a project being upset when that project ends up like.... well... "motions to the last few years of CoE developments*
    Mendel said:
    adran06 said:

Produce a person who actually had hands-on playing time.  No one other than 'presenters' or other 'staff' got to touch any part of it.

All the alpha backers have play time. And an NDA so they can't talk about it.
    KyleranIselinSlapshot1188
    adran06 said:
    Mendel said:
    adran06 said:

You were discussing the Pax East demo.  If someone was there, that's not part of the alpha backer package, and not subject to any NDA.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,526
    False flag is false
    maskedweaselSlapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

adran06 said:

Thats ridiculous.  Whatever that was a playable demo of, it wasn't the actual game.

This was the PAX East "demo" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtEnsVPuqw

This was what they showed years later...

You clearly did not actually follow any of the development. What you are showing is what they had initially planned to do in order to try and get the game into player hands faster, but Voxlyria ended up not happening for various reasons the devs explained that I can't be bothered to dig up. That was, as STATED REPEATEDLY, a temporary interface, and not the final product. This seems to be something a lot of the haters don't understand. That isn't the final game. Kingdoms of Elyria isn't the final game. They are STEPPING STONES to allow them to work on the vastly complicated multiple parts the game has that need to be developed and put together.

As for the demo, you realize they had multiple demos, right? Parkour, combat, and jousting are the ones I can recall off the top of my head. And it was known that was an early and very incomplete combat build, just to give an example of what they had so far. The entire system has been heavily expanded and refined from what was shown at that point. The video in question is also showing people who have had their hands on it for all of 5 minutes, which of course means the footage isn't impressive.

Please, try again.
    Kyleran
    Mendel said:
    adran06 said:
    Mendel said:
    adran06 said:

You were discussing the Pax East demo.  If someone was there, that's not part of the alpha backer package, and not subject to any NDA.

Actually, I wasn't talking about one specific demo. They had multiple demos.
    Kyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,916
    adran06 said:
    The proof is in the pudding and there is no pudding.

Everything about this game has always been grandiose and outlandish ideas and no game. And no, conceptual pre-games with store-bought assets don't count for shit in this scam.

And "...people didn't keep paying." Really? You're going to victim blame the scammed for Jeromy's failure to keep his scam going indefinitely?

Piss off with your bullshit dude.
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

adran06 said:
    Mendel said:
    adran06 said:
    Mendel said:
    adran06 said:

Actually, I wasn't talking about one specific demo. They had multiple demos.
    Deflection.  We've seen the multiple demos.  No one here was impressed, and the demos certainly don't seem to operate in conjunction with one another.

Still looking for someone who was at Pax East, participated in any of the demos, and is willing to talk about the experience.

Basically, someone who isn't in the 'inner circle' (i.e. alpha backer) who a) has had some exposure to whatever the CoE product is/was, b) is willing to relay their opinion of what the status of the product was, and c) has some credibility.  You don't seem to meet condition C.

Iselin said:
    adran06 said:
    The proof is in the pudding and there is no pudding.

Everything about this game has always been grandiose and outlandish ideas and no game. And no, conceptual pre-games with store-bought assets don't count for shit in this scam.

And "...people didn't keep paying." Really? You're going to victim blame the scammed for Jeromy's failure to keep his scam going indefinitely?

Piss off with your bullshit dude.
    The game is being made. That will happen. Therefore, it's not a scam, and it's insulting and wrong to call it a scam. Star Citizen still hasn't released and people don't go around calling it a scam. They might complain about parts of it, but it's taken even longer than CoE. Just because a game isn't released within a few years of being announced doesn't make it a scam. People need to stop bitching about high quality stuff taking time.
    IselinKyleran
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 792
    adran06 said:
    Star Citizen still hasn't released and people don't go around calling it a scam.
    What an interesting world you live in.
    maskedweaselSlapshot1188MendellotrloreMadBomber13