Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFG: Solo MMO

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 19,959
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    "Modern WoW could be a possibility, but I am not a big fan of Warcraft. It just feels like, excuse the term, pseudo Warhammer for children".

That did make me smile. :)

I have no solid ideas for you, so many of us are in the same boat. BDO's graphics might keep you in the game but the end game onwards is a cash pit. CoH is good but looks old, like I said no solid all-rounder choices.

I'm glad it did. It is nice to know you have at least some positive impact on others. It is even more awesome to be acknowledged for that. Never mind.

Can you really disagree with my appraisal of Warcraft? Ok, Warhammer can be entirely too one note at times(this is a stereotype, but it happens, mostly with Dwarfs and Orcs imo), but it's better than Warcraft lol. Warcraft could use some more real threats ; it's been defanged entirely too much.
    Both were based on preexisting games, there was more "lore" in WH because it was a military board game. The first fiction novels for WH were produced in `1999, so there is a lot more depth there. WC was a MMO based on a RTS game, they were creative, but it was more two dimensional than WH.

I hope you find a new MMO home, it is so hard to do so these days, if you have any success do tell us!

Not really a home, no, just a fun pastime. I really wanted Neverwinter to be it for some time, but it seems that Craptic is hellbent on destroying that game. Combat and Leveling Reworks were just a case of "smash a nail with a sledgehammer and destroy the wall in the process". I have nothing against CHALLENGE, but the way Craptic did it is ... well ... crap. I mean, no xp? Upscaling so you feel next to no power increase? Linear 1 way leveling for ALL characters? O_0 holy shit batman! That on top of needless combat changes which are there to facilitate purchases from Ca$h $hop. o-O Just wow!

I mean, it seems like it was a VERY FUN game, once. If only there was a private server that rolled back these mega crap changes.
    MMOs nearly all go in the opposite direction: every easier. But it's a balance and NW seems to have gone too far the other way.

Private servers may be an idea like CoH, but there are many more out there.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 847
    edited November 2022
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    "Modern WoW could be a possibility, but I am not a big fan of Warcraft. It just feels like, excuse the term, pseudo Warhammer for children".

I have no solid ideas for you, so many of us are in the same boat. BDO's graphics might keep you in the game but the end game onwards is a cash pit. CoH is good but looks old, like I said no solid all-rounder choices.

I'm glad it did. It is nice to know you have at least some positive impact on others. It is even more awesome to be acknowledged for that. Never mind.

Can you really disagree with my appraisal of Warcraft? Ok, Warhammer can be entirely too one note at times(this is a stereotype, but it happens, mostly with Dwarfs and Orcs imo), but it's better than Warcraft lol. Warcraft could use some more real threats ; it's been defanged entirely too much.
    Both were based on preexisting games, there was more "lore" in WH because it was a military board game. The first fiction novels for WH were produced in `1999, so there is a lot more depth there. WC was a MMO based on a RTS game, they were creative, but it was more two dimensional than WH.

I hope you find a new MMO home, it is so hard to do so these days, if you have any success do tell us!

Not really a home, no, just a fun pastime. I really wanted Neverwinter to be it for some time, but it seems that Craptic is hellbent on destroying that game. Combat and Leveling Reworks were just a case of "smash a nail with a sledgehammer and destroy the wall in the process". I have nothing against CHALLENGE, but the way Craptic did it is ... well ... crap. I mean, no xp? Upscaling so you feel next to no power increase? Linear 1 way leveling for ALL characters? O_0 holy shit batman! That on top of needless combat changes which are there to facilitate purchases from Ca$h $hop. o-O Just wow!

I mean, it seems like it was a VERY FUN game, once. If only there was a private server that rolled back these mega crap changes.
    MMOs nearly all go in the opposite direction: every easier. But it's a balance and NW seems to have gone too far the other way.

I'll have to change my opinion on Neverwinter. While it is true that there have been many cooks with many different ideas there, it is a fun game. When it is. Sometimes it just isn't and concerning the monetization, sure it can be aggressive at times, but I don't think much about it. You can get huge amounts of the game for almost free(barring character slots and race unlocks), so...it is a nuanced take.

The worst part of the game is how wildly different the fun factor is depending on how updated a class / companion is(see, I love Fighter dps, but god damn is it messed up! And next to Paladin, Bard, Rogue and soon Wizard...why would I do that to myself?). That's just not how it should work. And companions...yeah, those definitely deserve another pass. They shouldn't be basically just stat sticks, like wtf. Bring back Tank Comps lol!
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 3,495
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:

CoH is particularly good at accommodating personal preferences for difficulty. The player can increase or lower the difficulty of the game in instanced content to suit their preference in numerous ways such as the number and level of enemies faced, etc. Those settings also apply to whatever group the person leads, preventing the need for anyone that joins to switch their own settings which will automatically reapply when they leave the group.

Homecoming also recently added a hard mode beyond that but I haven't played it and am not familiar with the details of it other than it expands the options for game difficulty higher than the default. They also enhanced the system for difficulty adjustment mentioned in the first paragraph from that in the live game by adding more options.
    Yeah, I completely changed my mind about Neverwinter. It is such a fun, lovely MMO! But that isn't as apparent until you get to adventures and find a suitable, good class. Something like Undermountain is worth the entire 1 - 20 slog(which is, tbh, almost pointless).
    edited November 2022
    And to add to the previous appraisal, the grind for the endgame is entirely soul-crushing and I sometimes feel like the game languishes(or has languished) under Cryptic. The artwork and the stories are well done, the gameplay is very fun(once they let it breathe as it were) and if that potential was let to develop itself ... it would be quite something.

But! The game's a hostage of its payment system(imo). So many problems flow (in)directly to ZEN and that's ... very unfortunate. Devs recently have been trying etc, let's see how long that lasts.

In short? Even if the worst is to pass, a person can get about ~100 hours for the massive price of ... ZERO "insert currency here"! And at least 50h of fun and some very nice stories / experiences(Undermountain, Acquisitions Inc, Drowned Shore, Dwarf King). It could be MUCH more though. Don't let that ruin your day though.

(time for a break, I guess)
    Post edited by Gorwe on