Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria Developer Soulbound Studios Shutters Following Its Settlers of Elyria Event

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 5,023
imageChronicles of Elyria Developer Soulbound Studios Shutters Following Its Settlers of Elyria Event

In a forum post, Soulbound Studios CEO Jeromy "Caspian" W posted a recap of its State of Elyria post, talking about the latest alpha release, Settlers of Elyria - and dropped a bombshell: Soulbound Studios is shuttering.

Read the full story here

Post edited by lotrlore on

Comments

• PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Who's next?
    nycplayboy78
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,693
    Wow. Sooner then I expected. I think I said October a few months back
    Lark3mOG_ZorvanGdemami
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 (Xbox One X), TemTem

Currently Reading: Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive Book 3)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (2nd Draft)

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 22,285
    And another one gone
    And another one gone
    Another one bites the dust...
    OG_ZorvantzervoMcSleazborghive49infomatzblackthornnda9elbs
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,657
    edited March 25
    Well I must admit I thought they would get something out, but the mismanagement like suddenly deciding to make a voxel version of the game cost them dearly.

My wider concern is how this looks for CF MMO's, its currently 1.5 to 0 in terms of releases if you count AO as a 1 and SotA as a 0.5.
    OG_ZorvanGdemami

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,797
    What a surprise. I have called this game vaporware multiple times in the past.

All the kings and dukes must be happy they threw thousands of dollars (or perhaps a digit more in some cases) on this game.

Key question for me is, will this be a lesson learned for the backers or will they hurry up to throw money on next project promising them their dream game.
    Lark3monelesslightOG_ZorvanPortzMcSleazborghive49gastovski1hallucigenocidenycplayboy78infomatzand 3 others.
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member UncommonPosts: 138
    And as usual, he focused on blaming others - 'people were not giving us enough money', without looking at himself.

True, but there was a reason for that. People were giving you lots of money at the beginning. After years of not showing anything meaningful and bullshitting the community, this is the result.

Also, I would expect them to refund at the very least those pledges that have been made relatively recently (e.g. the SoE event), when the studio already had a reasonably good understanding of their terminal situation. Otherwise, taking backers' money with full knowledge that you will shut down in a couple of days or weeks is not only despicable, but also worth investigation.

ScotKyleranLark3mJakobenGreatnessPuReDusTVezlink61977bcbullyonelesslightand 13 others.
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,518
    There should be a suit to ask him to give an account of where all the money went. Records to show expenditure and an audit. This should be a priority as this is definitely a scam.
    VezlinEponyxDamorbcbullyonelesslightAlomarnecrolockOG_ZorvanMendelborghive49Gdemamiand 6 others.

• BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Camelot Unchained is next IMO
    RemaliAlomarOG_ZorvanMcSleazborghive49nycplayboy78Panzerbeorne39
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 557
    And nothing of value was lost.
    onelesslightOG_ZorvanMcSleazSequrieminfomatzYashaX

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,394

Portz said:

Who's next?

Pantheon is the even money bet.
    OG_Zorvanborghive49Panzerbeorne39Mensur

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    What a scam. I mean, how can you promise something with a budget of X, receive X and then say I couldn't deliver because X wasn't enough? That's 100% your fault for being unable to cost and manage a project to completion. This should be a warning to everyone out there who gets sucked in to hype and crowdfunds a game.
    bcbullygoozmaniaAlomarGdemamida9elbsimershon
  • fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 411
    edited March 25
    is this the one where they released some shitty video of a dragon hovering and it was literally just Ark on low settings edit- never mind thats trials of ascension
    OG_Zorvan
  • Lark3mLark3m Member UncommonPosts: 22

And as usual, he focused on blaming others - 'people were not giving us enough money', without looking at himself.

True, but there was a reason for that. People were giving you lots of money at the beginning. After years of not showing anything meaningful and bullshitting the community, this is the result.

Also, I would expect them to refund at the very least those pledges that have been made relatively recently (e.g. the SoE event), when the studio already had a reasonably good understanding of their terminal situation. Otherwise, taking backers' money with full knowledge that you will shut down in a couple of days or weeks is not only despicable, but also worth investigation.

No chance, that money is all gone.
    KyleranOG_Zorvanimershon
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,597
    Lark3m said:

No chance, that money is all gone.
    By "gone" i'm sure you mean carefully separated into the exposed pile (balance $0) and the multiple legally excluded and protected piles (balance $?)
    bcbullytomahawk1930OG_ZorvanSandmanjwimershon
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • GamePlay4UGamePlay4U Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Took long enough
  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,191
    I guess Amazon's mmo is the next one?  w/e they call it?
    Alomar

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 5,288
    I never thought that this game had any potential to be good. Even if it did ever get released.
    OG_ZorvanMcSleazhallucigenocideda9elbs
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 3,402
    Robokapp said:
    I guess Amazon's mmo is the next one?  w/e they call it?
    Given that New World is already in a playable state, I highly doubt that.
    Kyleranstrawhat0981AlomarsschruppTybostda9elbsYashaX
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,931

Kyleran said:

Portz said:

Who's next?

Pantheon is the even money bet.

Actually the safer bet. I think with the extra money that Camelot Unchained's developers received for their second game they could stay open longer.
    AlomarOG_Zorvan

Vonatar said:
    What a scam. I mean, how can you promise something with a budget of X, receive X and then say I couldn't deliver because X wasn't enough? That's 100% your fault for being unable to cost and manage a project to completion. This should be a warning to everyone out there who gets sucked in to hype and crowdfunds a game.
    There is a warning, at least on the KS site. KS makes it clear that just because the funding goal was met does not mean the creator will succeed.

Long story short, KS make it clear you need to check the competency of the people you invest your money into. Not everyone with a good idea knows what they are doing. 
    EponyxDamorOG_Zorvanborghive49
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 732
    Oof. Can't say I didn't see this coming, however, it really does seem awfully scammy to spend several years in "development" (collect several million dollars) and then release the first playable version of the game (which is essentially an asset flip) juuuuuust before closing.

Seriously? Where did those millions of dollars go? Because you can't convince me a reasonable studio with a similar budget would only develop what was shown.

I'd be pissed if I had spent any money on this steaming pile, much less having spent it during the latest "donation" drive.

KyleranGdemami
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,068
    kitarad said:
    There should be a suit to ask him to give an account of where all the money went. Records to show expenditure and an audit. This should be a priority as this is definitely a scam.
    If it was crowd funded - sorry based on the EULA's for CF, that is all they have to do. They don't have to say where the money went. That is why CF is a bad idea for gamings.
    OG_Zorvantzervo

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,979
    This shit has to be stopped these people have to be sued
    NarugMendelOG_ZorvanLeFantomeborghive49GdemamiPanzerbeorne39infomatzda9elbsimershon
    Oof. Can't say I didn't see this coming, however, it really does seem awfully scammy to spend several years in "development" (collect several million dollars) and then release the first playable version of the game (which is essentially an asset flip) juuuuuust before closing.

Seriously? Where did those millions of dollars go? Because you can't convince me a reasonable studio with a similar budget would only develop what was shown.

I'd be pissed if I had spent any money on this steaming pile, much less having spent it during the latest "donation" drive.

Well lets see. The first Crowdfunding happened in 2016,  so that's 4 years. The claim I hear people make is that they raised 8 million total.

Looking up Soulbound Studios, They are listed as having anywhere between 11 - 50 employes. 

Game Developers makes anywhere between 60 - 120K. Lets average that to 80K a year.

So.. mid run would be 25 employees, making 80K a year, and That's roughly, 2 million a year in payroll alone, and that's with the CEO making a very modest paycheck, of an average developer.

That also does not include things like Office Space, Computers, Software, Electricity, Etc

So yah, it's very viable they simply spent the money on what would be normal operating costs.
    KyleranRennisastrawhat0981jungmatheusOG_ZorvanEponyxDamorborghive49infomatz
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,656
    Sadly, when the "armchair developers" know more than those collecting $8M to roleplay one, this is the result.   

It's not all on Caspien though.   While he shares the largest portion of blame, those who felt compelled to fight and argue with the "Harbingers" also share it.  Especially those who made no investment at all and argued what they had to know was a stupid position, just because they didn't like the Harbinger.

If that was you, look in the mirror.  You share culpability here by trying to enable this train to run off the bridge when there was still a chance to get it back on the tracks.  You share the blame for $8M lost.  You share the blame for people losing their jobs amid a global pandemic. Many of those people have families.

Have a good long look in that mirror and maybe, just maybe learn from this next time.  Swallow your pride and understand that what you did was reprehensible.
    MendelOG_Zorvanchambordinborghive49Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.